Saturday, August 27, 2011

Breakfast Isn't Boring in Pamela's Kitchen


Hi, My name is Pamela and I am addicted to unhealthy foods. 

Five days into recovery and I am feeling great. This morning I wanted a yummy weekend breakfast, so I went to the fridge and got creative. I know, that could be dangerous, but I have purged most of the high fats and empty sugars from the shelves, so I was able to make a great choice.  YUM...the result was this super flavorful omelet. 

I just took 1 egg and the white from another and beat them in a bowl with a nice whisk. (Did you know, the bigger your whisk, the fluffier your eggs will be?) then I sprayed a skillet with non stick spray, turned on the heat until the pan was nice and hot, then I turned it to low. Next I poured the egg in, covered it and let it cook for a couple of minutes. The lid will help it cook through so its not runny anywhere. I spooned on a bit of my pesto and grated about half an ounce of smoked mozzarella on top of that. Next I carfully folded it over, topped it with sliced tomato and just a bit more cheese for garnish. This is seriously good, and good for you. A great start for a Healthy Saturday. 


Pamela's Favorite Sundried Tomato Pesto
Ingredients

4 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped pine nuts
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/3 cup crushed fresh tomatoes
1/3 cup olive oil
salt to taste (I don’t use any.)
Directions

Place sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover with warm water for 5 minutes, or until tender.
In a food processor combine sun-dried tomatoes, basil, parsley, garlic, pine nuts and onion; process until well blended. Add vinegar, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and process. Stir in olive oil Season with salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment