Thursday, January 13, 2011

Choosing Healthy Fare on the Run.

One of my biggest excuses for failure in the quest for better health is my schedule. Many days I am on the go from sunrise until well after dark. My cuisine on those days is often far from a priority. It's super easy to go through a drive through, or into a convenience store and grab something. For me that something is like to be a bag of Munchos or a king sized candy bar and a pop...or some combination of items that come off of a rolling grill or rotating pizza warmer. It's all in the name of fast paced busyness. I always tell myself I will just skip the next meal, or do better the next day.

In a society of "no guilt allowed" it seems reasonable that I can just have a do-over the next day. Or the next, or the next. "Don't beat yourself up," the experts say. "Just start again." -- "Pick up where you left off." -- "Don't worry about it." Easy for them to say. Their guilt-free mouthful of carbs and fat isn't sticking to MY hips.

Of course there is nothing rational to do about the carmel oozing through my veins as a "source of energy". However, I can supply myself with the tools to make great choices on the go. I have proven that many times. I just need to use those tools and think before I bite.

Today is one of those crazy busy days. Thursdays always are. I leave my house around 5:30 a.m. to head to town for my television segment. If you haven't seen it, it is a Healthy Cooking Segment...okay stop laughing and keep reading. From the station I run errands, meet with clients, meet with potential clients, work on my most recent writing project, sort through my 100 plus emails for that day, and prepare to teach my night class at the local University's Community Arts program. When all is said and done, I usually hit the wall, and my pillow around midnight. Somewhere in all of the rushing around and getting things done, I have to eat. You would think that someone of my stature could just skip a few meals, but logic tells us that we have to put good fuel into our bodies if we want them to get rid of the bad fat. So, good fuel, here I come.

With a little homework it's pretty easy in todays market to find healthy, lower fat, lower calorie options at almost every restaurant. I am hesitant to say that would apply to any fast food venue because of the chemicals and preservatives that give their food a long enough shelf-life that they can make money at $2 a burger. Other than fast food venues, there are lots of options. If you don't have time to eat at a restaurant, order your food to go. Another great option is to go to a grocery store, pick up an apple, pear, banana or whatever fruit you like, a bag of almonds, and a bottle of water. If the store has a deli section you can easily grab 2 oz of turkey and 1 oz of cheese, grab a premade salad in produce and a water near the register, in less than 5 min. you have lunch on the run.

My personal favorite by far though, is Panera. Yes, the place with the amazing bagels, great pastries, sandwiches and other fattening fare. But, they also have tons of healthy choices on their menu. Do your home work. Visit their website http://www.panera.com/ and visit the nutrition information section. It's a great tool to build your meal from their selections and have a preplanned order before you walk in, face to face with muffins and bear claws.

My busy day dinner this Thursday? A bowl of Low Fat Garden Vegetable Soup with Pesto and a whole grain bagette, with an iced tea. 300 calories, lots of nutrients, fiber and flavor. No wonder they call it MY Panera.

What is your favorite, healthy, restaurant food? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Healthy Eating everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment