Thursday, September 1, 2011

Deconstructed Apple Pie for Breakfast (AKA Apple Pie Hash)


Hi my name is Pamela and I am addicted to unhealthy foods.

Many food addicts struggle with the fist meal of the day. Perhaps breakfast is difficult because our body is enjoying the fast from the chemical preservatives and junk we typically fill it with during the day. As a result we don't feel hungry in the morning. I have noticed that when I am walking in the addiction, I cannot stand the thought of eating early in the day...but when I am eating healthy everything is different. I am actually ready for a huge glass of water and within a half hour of being up, I need to eat. But what to eat??? Yes, I keep a box of Cheerios on hand because it makes a great fast breakfast on days I don't have a lot of time. But I like to be creative so I'm not limited to cereal, veggie omelets and oatmeal. 

This is one of my favorite things to have for breakfast and it packs nutrients including protein, vitamin C, and more...and it's so good. Enjoy

Pamela's Healthy Garden - Apple Pie Hash

2 apples shredded (I like to use Granny Smith, Jonathan and/or Fuji)
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 Pkt Truvia
1 egg
1 ounce fat free shredded cheddar cheese  (If you shred it yourself, that will look like about a quarter cup)

Combine apples, spices, Truvia and egg until all ingredients are well incorporated. Heat skillet over med/high until water droplets sizzle when sprinkled on skillet. Spray skillet with non-stick spray. Spoon a quarter of the mixture into the skillet. Repeat until all of mixture is used as long as you have room in your skillet to turn your apple pies. Cook until golden brown, and holding together. Flip carefully to cook the other side. (I use two spatulas to keep the delicate patties in tact) It takes about 2 minutes on each side. You want to cook these a little slower than other types of griddle cakes so the apple softens a bit. Flip again, sprinkle cheddar on top, dividing it between each one. Cover and turn off burner, remove skillet from heat if using an electric stove. Serve as soon as cheese is melted to your preference. You can serve this without melting the cheese if you prefer.

You could dump the whole mixture in the pan and toss it until the apples are tender, allowing it to brown on each side...but the presentation is so pretty with the patties...and you know, I'm all about presentation. LOL.

Serves 2, less than 200 calories per serving. 

Enjoy, and keep coming back. It works if you work it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment